Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hummus and Homemade Pita Chips



This might be my favorite easy to make snack.  It's easy to adjust based on taste and keeps in the fridge (if you don't finish it right away!)  Here's how I like it:

1 can of chickpeas
3-5 cloves of garlic (I know-that's a lot)
half a lemon (or a whole one)
1/4 cup olive oil
cumin
coriander
paprika
cayenne pepper
salt, pepper

I'll blend the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and spices.  Then I add the chikpeas and blend until smooth. If the chickpeas aren't blending well, I'll add some more olive oil or lemon juice.  Usually I go really heavy on the spices--I like my hummus to be super spicy and have a strong flavor.  Remember, though, that the raw garlic will add to the spicyness when you're adding in the cayenne pepper.  I also don't use tahini because I have a mild allergy to sesame seeds, but feel free to add it in!

To make the pita chips, use some of the soft, thick pitas, cut them into 1/8's wedges, rub them with olive oil and sprinkle on kosher salt.  Place them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 400° for about 10-12 minutes or until they are crispy all the way through. yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment