Friday, May 7, 2010

Homemade Granola

There's not much better than fresh, homemade granola and blackberries atop yogurt in the morning:

Mix together 2 cups oatmeal (old fashioned rolled oats--not instant or quick cooking), lots of cinnamon (to taste), about 1 tsb brown sugar, and about a 1/4 tsp of salt.  I also added roughly 1/2 a cup of chopped, raw cashews.

Add in 1/4 cup honey, less than 1/4 cup oil, and some vanilla extract (a teaspoon?--I usually don't measure vanilla).  The honey-oil ratio is what makes it clump together.  More honey means more clumpy, more oil means there will be fewer clumps and more individual oats.

 Pour the mixture into a lightly greased baking pan and bake at 350° until the mixture starts to turn golden brown, stirring occasionally.  I baked mine in a foil lined cookie tray and it was done in 15 minutes.  Check on it early to make sure it doesn't burn.  I poured it back into the mixing bowl to stir it and cool it down (and for consistency in photos).


I started with this recipe, but I added cashews, made less of it, and took out some of the brown sugar.  The first time I made it I burnt the batch terribly in 15 minutes.  I would recommend keeping a close eye on the oven while you're waiting for it to bake.  Add in any nuts or dried fruit to taste.  You can also substitute maple syrup for honey--or molasses.  I may use molasses next.  I can't believe how easy this was to make; I don't think I'll ever buy granola again.

No comments:

Post a Comment