Monday, August 2, 2010

3 Painters



Las week I got called into work and was busy busy busy, so I didn't get a chance to finish museum week.  I've had a really hard time cutting down my favorites from the Met (it's just so big!) so this is as culled as it's going to get.  It's only three painters: Velasquez, Goya, and Manet.

Valesquez:
Portrait of Juan de Pareja
c. 1650
Don Gaspar de Guzmán, count of Olivares
c. 1635
Goya:
Don Manuel Osorio Manrique de Zuñiga
c. 1790
I love this painting.  The cats are just about to pounce on the mockingbird, but they never will.  And the poor bird is tethered to the little boy.  Here's your dark and sinister!


Majas on a Balcony
attributed to Goya


Manet:

A Matador, likely Cayetano Sanz y Pozas
1866 
Young Lady
1866
So I've been thinking a lot about Spanish painters, apparently.  The Manet portraits were painted after he had gone to spain and seen Velasquez and Goya.  Every one of these painters knew how to lay it on like nothing else.  Oh this makes me want to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment