Friday, March 26, 2010

More Treasures

Check out all the cool old stuff I snagged in Arizona:


These are all from my Great Grandmother's tool collection. Vintage knitting needles, sewing needles, crochet hooks and that button hook I got my dad to give me (it's sterling silver).  The knitting needles have been worn down so much that the tips have dulled and now they are hard to use.  I can't decide if I want to file the ends back into a point or leave them as they are.

The Crochet hooks are so tiny--one of them is definitely less than 1mm, which is the smallest I've ever seen; and they all have metal caps that protect them, which is ingenious.




And I got my dad to give me the button hook--saved from certain destruction!


And while on the subject of collections, I'll show and tell the carded vintage buttons I also snagged while in Arizona.  I'm going to have a hard time removing them from the cards, but I do think I will have to complete this project someday soon. You can click on the image to make it extra huge, if you want to look more closely.






4 comments:

  1. so so pretty...creasing up with jealousy... old knitting needles just so something to me. How odd that sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crochet hooks are amazing and they look close to the one I got from my grandma. I love to use it with thin yarn, there's no better hook I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found one of those things that you have pictured, that is dead center. Found it in my deceased mother in law's sewing items, I still do not know what it was used for. It has no hole at the end. Can you give me the name of it and how I can try and find out from there? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scorro,

    I think it's just an awl? used for poking holes in leather and any other thing that would need a hole!

    Hope that helps!

    Thanks,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete